Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fruits Basket, music, and youth group

I feel like writing about Fruits Basket. There's some things I want to say about the characters, so...

Fruits Basket (WARNING: contains spoilers from books 2, 3 and 4!)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I really like Hatori Sohma. What I've noticed lately is that he seems protective of Tohru. I don't know if it's because she's gullible, or if she reminds him of Kana, but he was very quick to accuse Shigure of using her in book 3. And in book 2, when Tohru slipped on the ice, Hatori could have just let her fall, but he caught her, which caused him to transform. I also think that Hatori respects Tohru, because she didn't laugh when he transformed into a seahorse. And I don't blame him for suspecting Shigure, because he does appear to be scheming something - I just don't know what yet.

And then we have Akito. He's a sly one. I'm only a couple of chapters into book 4, so I don't know the details of what he did to Yuki that makes him fear Akito. I was kinda pissed that he told Tohru she was cute, and then tells Shigure that she's ugly and slow. Okay, so she's gullible, but she's not slow!

Back to Hatori... (and no, I'm not making up an excuse to talk about him... I think. haha.) I'm surprised that he's still on speaking terms with Akito. I mean, the man hurt his eye, making Hatori almost blind in one eye, and Hatori, who is the Sohma family's doctor, still looks after him when he's sick! It's uncanny! I wonder if Akito knows there's a photo of Kana on Hatori's desk...

Kyo's unusually protective of Tohru, too. I guess it's because she has a knack for getting into some kind of trouble - and by trouble, I don't mean that she's a bad person, just gullible and sometimes unaware of her surroundings. Like when a guy at their school goes to chat her up, Kyo stands right next to her and kind of guards her from them, and the guy backs off. No one wants to cross Kyo! Well- except maybe Hatsuharu...

And now I've just reached the part where Ayame turns back into human form. He's pretty, though not as dashing (in my opinion) as Hatori :)

Music

One of the perks of getting the HD receiver is that we're now subscribed to Omni BC. They have a program called Nikkei TV, which is a Japanese-Canadian current events show. The first 15 or 20 minutes is a segment called J-Pop TV. They play a bunch of Japanese music videos, which was how I came across a band called An Cafe. I saw their video for their single 'Aroma', and went looking for info on them on the internet. Wikipedia has their discography up, so I sent in purchase requests to the library for their albums, and found the video for 'Aroma' on YouTube.

Youth Group

Youth group was good last night. Stephen was in India for a few weeks, and he brought us each back a bracelet. He also showed off a rug and some figurines he'd bought there, and told us about his trip. Mom made cookies, so she put some in a bag for me to bring with me. Mark, who was also there, liked the cookies. We also ate up the party mix that Stephen brought a few weeks ago.

I also feel like talking about America's Got Talent.

This season's been good. Piers is a little less grumpy, haha. Some very talented singers have been on. I haven't seen a lot of variety acts that I like, though. There's been some illusionists, dancers, and tumbling acts, but nothing... different. I did like the dancers that were on last night, though - the ones that wore the white gloves. They were really good.

No comments: