Thursday, March 5, 2009

Afterwards

So Nathan's visit went well. He offered to help me get rid of the remnants of the biology program, but I declined.

I think I miss actually talking to my brother. One time at Grandma and Grandpa's house - it was for a party of some kind, but I can't remember for whom - we just sat in Grandma's kitchen and talked, with their little radio on. They have this little TV with a radio built in. Pretty nifty. Nathan was put to work putting trays of hors d'oevres (I'm probably spelling it wrong) in the oven and then taking them out and serving them - I think Aunt Patti made him do that. I wouldn't put it past her. Anyways, we just sat on the floor and talked. Normally my brother is a social butterfly, but at family functions he often prefers to socialize with only a few people. So today we all chatted pretty normally - me, Nathan, Mom and Steph.

I thought about something else today, too. Before I get into that, I should probably say that the dojo where I got my black belt was not the dojo I had originally started karate at. The dojo I started at was a place closer to our house, and it's in the same plaza as a good fish-and-chips place. We left after I got my red belt, though, because we didn't like the way the instructors - namely, Mr. M and Mr. C - were teaching the classes.

Anyways. What I was thinking about today was a particular evening at that dojo. In the class, all of the boys, directed by Mr. M, had to briefly leave the class because they had all thrown their coats on the floor of the men's change room. While they were attending to the mess, Mr. V had us girls go through our katas (katas are patterns of stances, blocks, kicks, etc, and are pretty much imaginary fights). I was thinking this evening that Mr. V really took us seriously in that class - in all the classes he taught, in fact. That was something neither Mr. M nor Mr. C ever did.

That memory makes me feel awesome.

In other news, my nose hasn't been dripping as much today, which is good. I have thus far watched two discs of Are You Being Served? - one disc yesterday, the other disc today. The whole series is seven discs long, but I think the seventh disc is just special features. So that's cool :) I had a book due back to the library today, and didn't return it today, but I'm not too worried. I have change to pay for fines.

No comments: