Friday, July 20, 2012

This is why I'll never be a secret agent

I'm not gonna lie: I suck at being stealthy.

I was playing Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (a sequel to the original FF VII), and I was at the part where you have to control Cait Sith, a cat with a Scottish accent and a happy-go-lucky demeanor, through a mako reactor without being noticed by guards. I think I lost count of how many times Cait Sith was KO'd because of my lack of sneaky-ness.

I've never been good at stealth missions in games. I think it's because I get so caught up in the game that I squeak loudly in alarm when I have to edge past a guard. In fact, while watching my brother play Metal Gear Solid I can recall recoiling slightly when he had to sneak around guards. I would make a terrible secret agent.

Speaking of Metal Gear Solid, when I loaded my saved game today I noticed that the Cait Sith segment of the game was titled "Solid Cait". And yes, I giggled :)

Dirge of Cerberus is one of those games that makes me jumpy, because of the enemies popping up out of nowhere. (I punched open a cargo crate today, and a lizard creature was inside it. I kid you not.) Right from the start of the game you have to be on your toes, which is a lot for someone who's used to playing turn-based role-playing games. I think the last game I played where you had to move both yourself and a camera was Spyro the Dragon, many moons ago.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of the gameplay, though. When I checked my status, my accuracy rate was considerably better than when I started. Now, if only I could be stealthier...

No comments: