Friday, January 28, 2011

Reading list, and Oscar predictions

I mentioned in my last post that I set my reading goal on Goodreads to ten books. I tried to compile a reading list the other night, but found that I was close to going over ten books. So, I shall compile a list of ten books that I want to read this year...

Merenwen's To-Read List, 2011

1. Beastly by Alex Flinn
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
3. The Boy With the Cuckoo-Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu
4. Eon by Alison Goodman
5. The Forest in the Hallway by Gordon Smith
6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
7. Leviathan by Scott Westerfield
8. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
9. Terrier by Tamora Pierce
10. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

There are other books that I really want to read, but might not get to. It depends on how quickly I can read.

On the subject of Oscar predictions, here are mine. I've only seen a couple of the nominated films (Alice in Wonderland and How to Train Your Dragon), though, so I'm just making educated guesses here.

Best Supporting Actress: I think Melissa Leo's gonna take it. I'd like Helena Bonham-Carter to win, because she's one of my favourite actresses, but it sounds like Leo's performance in The Fighter would totally earn her an Oscar. It would be cool to see Hailee Steinfeld win for True Grit, but I have a feeling that Leo will win it. I am disappointed that Mila Kunis wasn't nominated for Black Swan, though.

Best Supporting Actor: I'm not keen on Christian Bale, but then again, I haven't seen his role in The Fighter. My guess is that either he or Geoffrey Rush will take it.

Best Actor: This is a tough one. I like Colin Firth as an actor, in both comedic and dramatic roles (I saw A Single Man on DVD last year, and thought he was pretty darn good in it), but I've heard that Jesse Eisenberg and James Franco did well in their roles. It would be nice for either of them to win it. And then there's Javier Bardem... okay, I'm totally stuck.

Best Actress: I think Natalie Portman will win this one, although Nicole Kidman could take it for her role in Rabbit Hole.

Best Animated Feature: I haven't seen The Illusionist, but I really want to. I don't think it's being played in my area yet, or if it ever will be - I might have to wait for the DVD. I'd really like How to Train Your Dragon to win, though, because: 1) The script was pretty clever, 2) The animation was pretty good, and 3) Craig Ferguson as a Viking - need I say more? Although The Illusionist looks spectacular, from the trailer I saw. Toy Story 3 earned a Golden Globe for Animated Feature, so it might take the Oscar as well. I really don't know.

Best Original Score: Am I the only one who's annoyed that Alice in Wonderland didn't get nominated for this category? The movie had a really awesome score! Hmm... I think Inception might take it - it got the Golden Globe, and Hans Zimmer wrote it. Zimmer seems to be one of the most popular film score composers. I'm not too familiar with his work - I only just found out via Wikipedia that he did the score for Sherlock Holmes, and I liked that score. I think he'll get the Oscar.

Best Director: It's a three-way tie between Darren Aronofsky for Black Swan, David Fincher for The Social Network and the Coen brothers for True Grit. I'm not sure if Tom Hooper will win for The King's Speech, but I'd be happy if he won. It looks like a good film.

And finally...

Best Picture: Wow. I'm really not sure. Shall we say... three-way tie between Black Swan, The Social Network and The King's Speech? Or then there's 127 Hours. And Inception. Oh dear, I do believe I'm stuck.

...I'm suddenly aware that this post is very long. I should probably go now. Bye!

No comments: