Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Frankenstorm and Diana Wynne Jones

So, I'm sure you all have heard about this Frankenstorm that's been going on. I'm okay - we got hit with rain and winds, but my neighbourhood appears to only have a few garbage cans knocked over and some small branches on lawns. Other areas had trees uprooted, and a woman died in Toronto after she was hit by a store sign, which is terrible. My thoughts go out to those effected by Hurricane Sandy and/or the Frankenstorm.

Last night was the first night of the fall that I decided to break out my duvet. I might have been warm enough without it, but I figured it would best to be safe and put in on my bed. I was quite toasty under all those blankets, so much so that I kicked off my slipper socks and pushed the sleeves of my sweatshirt up on my upper arms. If the dogs hadn't needed letting out when they did, I probably could've slept longer.

It was a little windy this morning, but right now the trees outside seem to be fairly still. It's still quite damp and cold, of course, so I may spend the evening curled up under my duvet with a book. Actually, I may be in the living room, where it's warmer, crocheting another swatch while my parents and my brother watch Sons of Anarchy (I don't really watch the show - it's a bit gory for my taste, even though the storyline is interesting), or reading either The Hunger Games or my library book, Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones.

Speaking of library books - it's happened again. Too many books are coming in for me to pick up. I have The Fault in Our Stars by John Green waiting for me, and A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin in transit. I probably won't be able to renew The Fault in Our Stars, though, because it's too new of a book and a lot of people have placed holds on it (I think it's fifty-odd holds for twenty-odd copies), and I may not be able to renew A Wizard of Earthsea either, so I'll focus on Dogsbody. I'll probably read a chapter or two of TFIOS, to see if I like it, and maybe do the same with Earthsea.

I think I'm going to love Dogsbody, just from the synopsis and the fact that Neil Gaiman wrote an introduction for the edition I'm reading. Though I haven't read any of his works yet (I picked up Interworld, which he co-wrote, at a book sale at Indigo, so I'll probably read that soonish), I saw the movie adaptation of Coraline and the episode of Doctor Who that he wrote, and thought they were both fabulous. I definitely trust his opinion of literature.

Since picking up Dogsbody from the library, I've felt the itch to try reading Howl's Moving Castle again. I got about halfway through it, but then I got side-tracked, then I started it over again, and got side-tracked again... I start too many books, that's the problem. But when I finish a book or two, and I feel less guilty about my reading habits, I'll start it over again.

No comments: