Monday, May 21, 2012

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday

Saturday was not only the season finale of Saturday Night Live, but also the finale of Kristen Wiig - it was her last episode of SNL. Before watching SNL the next morning (we PVR'd it), I had no idea it was going to be her last show. I think I teared up a little during the ending, when they did the musical send-off.

I loved Kristen's skits on SNL, and I loved her in the movie Whip It! in which she played a roller derby girl named Maggie Mayhem. I loved her in Paul as well. And then there's Bridesmaids: while there were some scenes I wasn't entirely keen on, it was still hilarious (especially her scenes with Jon Hamm ;D Note to under-eighteen readers, the movie is R-rated). I loved her characters, like Gilly, Kat (of Garth and Kat fame), the Target lady, among others. If they put out a 'best of Kristen Wiig' SNL DVD (and they had better do that, or fans might be pissed off), I would probably buy it.

I heard on the news that she has six movies in the works right now. Even so, I didn't want her to leave SNL. I had this childlike feeling during the cast's tribute to her, this feeling of "But I don't want you to go! I love you! Why can't you stay?" I guess she's been my hero all along, but I just didn't realize it. Watching that tribute, though, I think she had a hard time saying goodbye, especially to the cast member that had started around the same time she did. It was heartbreaking to watch.

Thanks to the musical send-off they gave Kristen, I don't think I'll be able to listen to the songs "She's a Rainbow" and "Ruby Tuesday" without crying.

No comments: